Harvest Hills is Safari Highlands re-branded. It may have a new name, but it has the same problems as before.
Write the Escondido Mayor McNamara and City Council members and urge opposition to Harvest Hills sprawl development! Sierra Club’s highest priority in Escondido is to stop Harvest Hills. The project is devastating to the environment.
This project should be stopped because it:
- Significantly increases wildfire risks: Location in high wildfire risk area will exacerbate the risks and difficulties for evacuating residents in the entire area, as well as residents of this development.
- Worsens traffic: It will significantly increase traffic by adding over 67,000 vehicle miles a day (VMT) to an already congested area.
- Undermines transit: Its far-flung development footprint will further frustrate efforts for effective transportation planning.
- Fails to provide moderate or affordable housing: By only providing high-end housing, it does nothing to help us meet housing goals.
- Violates County General Plan: It violates the County General Plan by increasing density 2,000%.
- Worsens climate impacts: It will undermine efforts to address and reverse climate change and make greenhouse gas emission reductions more difficult.
- Destroys sensitive habitat: It will undermine an adopted Multiple-Species Conservation Plan and the one proposed for North County and obstruct wildlife corridors necessary for many species to survive in the region.
Learn more about the project in our Issue Brief