Sierra Club NCG has joined the newly formed Escondido Community Housing Coalition (ECHC) to advocate for strong housing actions in the Escondido Housing element. The Housing Element is an important vehicle to ensure that our community has fair housing practices and provides adequate affordable housing for residents. We only have a chance every 8 years to influence housing policy so this decision is critically important.
The ECHC submitted these recommendations to the City Council. Sierra Club NCG urges our members to file a comment in support of the ECHC recommendations here. The Housing Element is agenda item 14. To attend the meeting, Council Chamber is at 201 N. Broadway, Escondido.
Overview of ECHC recommendations for 6th Cycle Housing Element
- Re-Establish an Escondido Housing Commission.
- Require development of an Inclusionary Housing Ordinance.
- Create a two-tiered approach to inclusionary housing.
- Remove proposed housing locations from unsafe locations.
- Remove proposed housing from locations in Very High Fire Severity Zones
- Urban Greening should be an integral part of improving housing in Escondido.
- Include actions to ensure access to Rent Forgiveness programs, a Tenant Protection Ordinance, and Rent Registry System.
- New Home buying programs should set higher performance goals and be expanded to include city-initiated/supported community land trusts.